The first wrinkles start to develop between the ages of 25 and 30. Unfortunately for us men, we get wrinkles faster than women (according to research from Erasmus MC Rotterdam). In addition, wrinkles in men are often deeper than in women. Wrinkles are part of the aging process that we all go through.
Yet you can do a lot to reduce wrinkles. Below you can read exactly what wrinkles are how they occur and what you can do about them.
What are wrinkles?
In short, wrinkles are folds in your skin. They are reflected in a result of skin sagging. This makes the skin less firm so that the skin can be held in place less well.
You have 2 types of skin relaxation namely intrinsic and extrinsic skin relaxation.
- Intrinsic skin aging is a natural process. The older you get the faster this process proceeds. This is largely determined genetically.
- Extrinsic skin aging also plays an important role and depends on external factors such as UV radiation and exhaust gases.
Why do you get wrinkles?
In addition to the fact that wrinkles get partly genetic, there are other factors that play an important role. These factors are explained below.
Reduction of collagen and elastin production
Collagen and elastin are important building blocks of your skin. These are created by your body itself. They ensure the firmness and elasticity of your skin.
As you get older, the production of these substances will decrease. Because you will have fewer of these substances in your skin. Your skin will become weaker and wrinkles will occur.
Air pollution is not only a major problem for the environment but also for your skin. It mainly consists of by-products from combustion processes. One of these by-products is radical particles.
These radical particles are very reactive and have a major contribution to the oxidation of your skin. This oxidation of your skin results in wrinkles.
UV radiation (sunlight)
Sunlight consists of 3 types of UV radiation: UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C.
UV-C radiation is completely blocked by the atmosphere and does not end up on earth.
UV-B radiation causes the skin to burn but also causes the tanning process and largely vitamin D production. UV-B stimulates the pigment cells in the skin, making the skin brown or red. Unfortunately, UV-B is also one of the major causes of skin cancer.
UV-A radiation goes deeper into your skin and causes skin aging. Just as with polluted air, UV-A radiation creates radicals in your skin. These radicals accelerate the skin’s aging process. The production of collagen and elastin will also decrease as a result. UV-A is therefore seen as one of the largest external wrinkle causes. However, UV-A can also cause you to burn.
Tips to prevent wrinkles
- Try not to spend too long in the sun and use UV filters. The sun is one of the biggest culprits for the skin. Try to stay out of the sun between 11:00 and 15:00, especially on warm days. Are you going to spend more than 10-15 minutes in the sun? Then it is wise to use sunscreen.
- Hydrate your skin properly. Moisture that is stored in your skin gives extra firmness. This will also make wrinkles less visible. Use a moisturizing cream. This ensures that moisture is absorbed faster and retained longer in your skin.
- Make sure you get enough antioxidants through food or cosmetic products. Antioxidants are substances that counteract radical particles. You can get these antioxidants by eating enough fruit and vegetables or by using cosmetic products that contain important vitamins such as vitamin C or E.
- Use products that stimulate the production of collagen and elastin. As old age reduces the production of collagen and elastin. It is wise to use products that stimulate the production of these substances. Essential oils, vitamins, and minerals, in particular, stimulate the production of collagen and elastin.
- More water, less alcohol. Drinking water also helps to reduce wrinkles. When you drink a lot of water, waste products from your body are cleaned faster. This, in turn, has a positive effect on the skin. In addition, reducing alcohol is also wise. Alcohol dries out your body. This will also make you drier out and this can result in skin irritations.